Toppings are sometimes the only reason you get out to pick up coffee instead of making it at home. The Starbucks chocolate chip drinks are a guilty pleasure when we want a drink that comes with an added treat.
Unlike regular chocolate chips, the Starbucks kind are soft, easy to drink through the straw, and mouthwatering!
Let’s see what makes them so special and which drinks contain some.
- What Are Starbucks Chocolate Chips?
- What Are They Called At Starbucks?
- Starbucks Chocolate Chip Drinks (Menu Items)
- More Chocolate Chip Drinks (Secret Menu)
What Are Starbucks Chocolate Chips?
According to Starbucks, their chocolate chips are made from confectionery coating, cocoa, cookie crumbs, salt, and chocolate mass. Unfortunately, they’re not vegan or gluten-free.
Chocolate chips are primarily used in frappuccinos, so they’re designed to blend easily. Since they break down, they deliver flavor and texture to the drink.
One of the earliest and most popular drinks with chocolate chips is the Java Chip Frappuccino. It’s a blend of espresso, milk, chocolate syrup, and chocolate chips, introduced in early 2000.
But the Chocolate Brownie Frappuccino was actually the first drink with chocolate chips.
In 2002 the Double Chocolate Chip Crème Frappuccino was introduced, containing 3 servings of chocolate chips.
What are the chocolate chips called at Starbucks?
The chocolate chips at Starbucks are called java chips or frappuccino chips.(1) But don’t get confused; they don’t have any coffee in them. The term java refers to their use in coffee only.
Sometimes they’re also called chocolaty chips since they don’t have enough cocoa to be called chocolate chips, according to FDA.
10 Starbucks Chocolate Chip Drinks
Is the thought of sweet chocolate crumbs in coffee mouthwatering to you? Then you’ll find our selection of Starbucks Chocolate Chip Drinks handy.
All beverages have a fair portion of chocolaty chips in them. You can easily skip dessert for one of these cups!
1. Java Chip Frappuccino
The Java Chips frappuccino is the first drink that includes the famous chocolaty chips. It’s a blend of coffee, milk, mocha sauce, vanilla syrup, ice, and chocolate chips.
It’s comforting and delicious, a perfect ratio of coffee and chocolate. If you’re a fan of chocolate drinks, this one hits all the right spots.
2. Double Chocolaty Chip Crème Frappuccino
Love the chocolate flavor but don’t like coffee? Then this is your drink. The Double Chocolaty Chip is made with mocha sauce, chocolaty chips, vanilla syrup, milk, ice, and creme frappuccino syrup.
Taste-wise it reminds us of chocolate or a cookies and cream milkshake. It comes close to the Java Chip frapp but with only 15 mg of caffeine in a grande size.
3. Mocha Cookie Crumble Frappuccino
Coffee, cookies, and chocolate, can you think of a better combination? This frappucino combines rich mocha taste, tasty cookie crumbs as a topping, and a fair amount of caffeine.
It’s a mighty caloric bomb, although it’s not overwhelmingly sweet. It used to be a seasonal drink but is now part of the regular menu.
4. Chocolate Cookie Crumble Crème Frappuccino
The Chocolate Cookie Crumble Crème Frappuccino is a cross between Double Chocolaty Chip Crème and Mocha Cookie Crumble. Besides chocolate chips, it also includes cookie crumbles inside and as a topping.
It’s made with mocha sauce, creme frappuccino syrup and doesn’t have any coffee. The 15 mg of caffeine comes from the syrup.
Secret Menu Starbucks Chocolate Chip Drinks
Rely on the creativity of Starbucks customers and baristas to craft the best drinks. The secret menu includes some Starbucks chocolate chip drinks you would’ve never imagined.
Don’t forget to remember the recipe and ask your barista if they can make it.
5. Franken Frappuccino
Like Frankenstein, this frappuccino takes parts of other drinks, blending them into a great beverage. The taste is similar to thin mints.
How to Order:
- Start with a green tea frappuccino, with the addition of peppermint syrup.
- Then add white chocolate sauce, and chocolate chips.
- Ask to be topped with a mocha drizzle over the whipped cream.
6. Peppermint Chocolate Chip Frappuccino
If you’re a fan of the chocolate and mint combo you’ll love this drink. It’s a perfect choice for the holiday season too!
How to Order:
- To get the peppermint chocolate chip frappuccino, ask for a grande vanilla bean frappuccino.
- Then, ask the barista to add 1.5 pumps of peppermint syrup and 4 scoops of chocolate chips.
7. Banana Chocolate Chip Frappuccino
Banana and chocolate has always been a great combo, but how about in a drink?
The taste is close to a banana milkshake but with added chocolate. The texture is smoother, thanks to the banana.
How to Order:
- Start with a grande vanilla bean frappuccino.
- Add 2 scoops of chocolaty chips, and one blended banana.
- Top it up with delicious whipped cream.
8. Twix Frappucino
Now you can get your favorite chocolate bar in a drink version. This Twix Frappuccino is what chocolate and caramel dreams are made off.
How to Order:
- Ask for a caramel frappuccino with chocolaty chips
- Add 1.5 pumps of hazelnut syrup for a grande.
- Then ask the barista to blend in the whipped cream and coat the cup with caramel sauce.
- Finish it with mocha drizzle for even more chocolate flavor.
9. Cookie Dough Frappuccino
What about a drink that tastes like a sneaky bite of raw cookie dough? This drink tastes almost like the real deal!
How to Order:
- Order a grande Cinnamon Dolce Creme Frappuccino.
- Add mocha sauce for an added chocolate flavor. For a grande size, add 2 pumps.
- Ask your barista to add chocolaty chips to be blended in with the drink.
- Then top it with chocolate whipped cream and cookie crumbles.
10. Cadbury Creme Egg Frappuccino
Recreate the Easter feeling any day of the year with this custom drink. Just try not to get too addicted!
How to Order:
- Order a grande Java Chip frappuccino with 2 pumps of frapp roast.
- Then add 1.5 pump vanilla syrup, 1/2 pump caramel syrup, and 3 scoops of vanilla bean powder.
- Ask the barista to top it with whipped cream and caramel drizzle.
Coffee and chocolate have an unbreakable bond that works fantastic in blended drinks. The Starbucks chocolate chip drinks feature in-house chips made to blend and fall apart easily. Thus they enhance the taste and appearance of the drink.
To try some of the classic drinks, refer to our list. Then, take it a step further and try a secret menu drink. Whichever option you go for, it will be delicious!
Starbucks has its own chocolaty chips. However, they’re not chocolate chips and aren’t available for purchase.
According to the FDA, if the amount of cocoa bean is less than 15%, a product can’t be referred to as chocolate. Starbucks chocolate chips have around 12% cocoa, so they’re chocolaty.
Frappuccino chip, java chip, and chocolaty chips are the same ingredient. They’re Starbucks’ version of chocolate chips. Unlike regular chips, these are soft, break down easily, and pass through a straw.
They enhance the drink’s texture but won’t damage the blender when used in blended drinks like frappuccinos.
No, the frappuccino chips are not vegan. The confectionery coating used in the chips contains milk. Most frappuccinos or chocolate-based drinks contain some form of dairy.
Overall, blended drinks at Starbucks are not a safe option for vegans. Ask your barista for some vegan suggestions.
Wondering where your info comes from? We totally understand. Hey Joe only obtains our information from reputable sources. Contents from this article are sourced from the following publications: